Monday, April 10, 2006

Common Vision

Nothing is perfect. Life is messy. Relationships are complex. Outcomes are uncertain. People are irrational.
Hugh Mckay


Life is definitely not perfect. And neither am I. However, I seem to be showing my imperfections more and more lately, and it is causing stress and strain on my relationships, particularly my primary one. If it is going to succeed, I need to dig a little deeper, and set aside my own selfish concerns for the good of the relationship.

However, I also believe that in order for any relationship to be successful, that those involved must have a common vision; a goal to work towards. This is a list of what I think I need to be successful and happy in a relationship.

To enjoy each other...emotionally, physically, mentally.

To be each other's best friend.

To trust and feel safe with each other.

To be emotionally and physically faithful.

To work well together as parents and partners of parents (stepparents?) and respect the decisions that we make regarding our children, while also welcoming aid and support from each other.

To share important decisions together.

To respect and value each other's careers.

To be financially secure.

To agree to disagree at times, but to settle our differences in a thoughtful, peaceful, and respectful way.

To communicate our feelings and emotions openly in a thoughtful, constructive way.

To show our love for each other daily.

To have daily private time together and alone.

To make time to nurture our relationship and to value it.

To be happy and healthy...physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.


These are the things that I am looking for in my primary relationship. I know that I cannot be happy if I am not at least trying to reach these goals in a mutual fashion. I also know if PC does not share these goals and we are too far off on what we want, then it just won't work...no matter how much we may want it or how hard we try. I hope we can succeed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home