Thursday, August 10, 2006

Project Runway

Both film and fashion are businesses where the audience doesn't feel or see the work that goes on behind the scenes.
Tom Ford


Well Tom, you are wrong! BravoTV's hit show, "Fashion Runway" does take you behind the scenes, and gives you a glimpse of the creative process. Of course, not without a little bit of reality show drama.

I am addicted to this show. Yes, I know! Another show I have an addiction for! I watch it not so much for the drama, though I do admit to be intrigued by it just a little, but more for the designers and their inventiveness. I fancy myself to be a bit on the creative side, so that aspect definitely appeals to me. However, I have absolutely no patience for pattern-making, sewing, and the like; so I am in a bit of awe watching the transformation from sketch to attire. Yes, I can draw and I CAN sew, but I find it tedious (sewing, not drawing). And the thought of trying to reconstruct an actual wearable outfit from a mere doodle, well I have no skill there. The process of proportion and configuration seems to be a bit too mathematical for me. I am not analytical, no eye for detail...must be my ADDness.

My two favorite designers are Michael and Laura. Unfortunately, I don't think they show them enough. I imagine it is because they don't produce enough drama for the producers, particularly Michael who is one of the only straight guys on the show. And black. Although, unlike the suggestions of some, I don't think race has much to do with his lack of air time. However, it IS funny to watch the not-so-straight Kayne and his gay fashion diva persona. Plus, he does have a flamboyant, over-the-top sense of style.

I was glad to see Michael win tonight. His outfit was amazing from the cut to color to the creativity. He really was able to channel Pam Greir with this outfit. And, damn, I wish I had the legs and the body to carry off an outfit like that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home