Monday, July 17, 2006

Here Kitty, Kitty!

My house is run, essentially, by an adopted, fully clawed cat.
Anthony Bourdain


I have discovered that one of my beloved cats is diabetic. He has always been a little bit on the chubby side, but in the last few months he had been losing weight at a rather dramatic pace. Now, mind you, he has always been a large cat, even before the chubbiness set in. But in the last 3 months he went from 20 lbs. to 15 lbs.

And so it began. After one visit to the vet, one urinalysis, one blood test, and $210, I discover he is diabetic. $45 later, he has a brand new, improved, specialized diet (that will last maybe a month...month and a half if I am lucky). Then it is off to the pharmacy for insulin and needles. What do you mean my insurance won't cover him? Ka-ching! Another $115.

Now he is residing comfortably for the next two days at le Spa de Veterinary so that they can monitor his reaction to the insulin. After another $350-$400, I can pick him up and bring him home! After that there will be the daily blood tests and insulin injections. And yes, more uninsured trips to the pharmacy.

Yes, it seems to be an awful lot of money to spend on an animal, but he is so much more than that. He is the small kitten, who along with his brother, appeared outside our cabin in the snow on cold Thanksgiving. He is the cat who endured being dressed up, dragged around, and wheeled in a stroller by two little girls. He is the cat who bears the name of a fish with pride because my daughters had a fascination for all things "The Little Mermaid." He is the cat who slept at my feet when my bed was empty, and seemed to always know when to come around with a cuddle and a purr when I was down. He is the cat who still managed (or at least tried) to fit on my lap during my final pregnancy, and endured having his tail pulled and his hair yanked with dignity by the strange little creature that arrived soon after. He is more than a mere pet. He is a member of the family. And like any member of the family, I would do anything for him.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

We to have a cat that is not a pet but a memeber of our family. I hope yours is back on his feet soon.

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems reasonable to me. If you're going to take an animal into your home, a living, breathing animal, then you don't just treat him as "family" while it's convenient, while he's fun and healthy. It's a commitment, one you obviously take seriously. I wish more people did.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Laury said...

Woohoo! My boy came home today! When they brought him out, he saw me through his carrier and mewed and mewed until I stuck my fingers in. It's nice to be loved!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home