Friday, September 22, 2006

Tuesday's Post Today

You must look within for value, but must look beyond for perspective.
Denis Waitley


National AD/HD Day was on Tuesday. And of course, I forgot! Actually I knew, but couldn't focus enough to get my thoughts enough to write down anything meaningful. And, yes I DO have ADD. Not AD/HD. No H.

Therefore in honor of the day, which I forgot, and because I am still in an ADD addled, writer's-block minded funk, I am going to borrow, nay steal, the words of my blog friend Doug, who has put into words my mood so much more succinctly than I am capable of right now. (Forgive me Doug!)


"Perspective is important for anybody to enable them to survive, but for people with AD/HD it is imperative. Many of us also struggle with mood swings or depression. Some of the moodiness can be attributed to success or failure due to accidents (Yeah, I'm often accidentally successful. Don't you just hate that?), but sometimes our minds are simply out of whack. We need to remember that we are not our AD/HD. We are separate from it. There is a core YOU, and there is the other part of your mind that likes to hang a "Kick Me!" sign on your back when you're not looking. No? Well, look at it another way. Sometimes we who have AD/HD identify with our failures as being who we really are. I found long ago that whenever I do that I simply set myself up for further failure, and here I was doing it again. If ever there was a case in favor of rose colored glasses this would be it.

Back to today, when I saw on my calendar it was National ADD Awareness Day a part of me said "whoopie..." Give me a real holiday like Christmas or Halloween, but National ADD Awareness Day? Nobody hands me free candy for having ADD. In fact, don't they take away your candy on days like today? Or was that just second grade? Anyway, as I restructure my life and ramp up for a new onslaught of weekly bloggy goodness I thought it was worth mentioning what it was I was going through lately. Maybe like me you've forgotten to cut yourself a little slack or you know a loved one who has. Those of us with AD/HD sometimes need help stepping outside our lives to get a new perspective so we can see what is going awry.

We focus so much on failure sometimes we forget that our minds are working against us. That is what is important for me to realize today. We need to remember from time to time what we're up against so we can stop beating ourselves up. We also need to be determined enough to make changes in our lives, which can be difficult. However, epiphanies are meaningless unless we implement them. My epiphany helped me see that I needed to recommit to a schedule. That has been transforming to my productivity. AD/HD may account for what a mess things have been lately but only dedication and perspective are going to straighten me out again. That and a whole lot of elbow grease."


Personally, I need more than an epiphany right now. I think I also need to remember to take my meds.

This is a poor attempt to cover up my plagiarism. To see the post in its entirety visit The Splintered Mind.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home