Monday, November 14, 2005

A California Girl in New England

"My sorrow, when she's here with me, thinks these dark days of autumn rain are beautiful as days can be; she loves the bare, the withered tree; she walks the sodden pasture lane." - Robert Frost

Well it is well into Autumn now here in New England. Past peak as some say. The landscape has really changed! The brilliant reds, ochres, and auburns have faded to grey. I can see why some around here dread the passing of the leaves...especially when it's a harbinger of the Winter coming. However, it seems to fit my rather melancholy mood. Although actually, I am looking forward to Winter. It is still rather awe inspiring for a California girl like me to be experiencing four distinct seasons. Already I am seeing things here that I have not seen before...even my own neighbors! Here in the northwest suburbs of Boston, most of the homes are tucked amongst the woods, hidden by the trees. Now that these trees have lost their canopies of leaves, you realize how close your neighbors really are!

As for my melancholy, it comes and goes. I revel in the natural beauty that is here, but I still miss the beauty that is home. And California is still home in so many ways. I miss the ocean, the mountains, and the desert. I miss the city. I miss my friends and my family. I miss being a part of the lives and events of those I love. (Aunt Patti and Uncle Jim's housewarming. Marissa and Ray's new Braden. Caroline and Rick's Halloween party. Kathy's new job. The list could go on and on...) I even miss the Santa Anas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home